Sunday 5 January 2014

**TOP 5 DESERT ISLAND DISCS!!**

Happy New Year!! I hope you had a fantastic NYE and stayed safe through those early hours if you were out'n'about. This post is an extension of last week's Top 5 records. This time I'm sifting through the 5 albums that have standed for something significant throughout my childhood/past times. Feel free to reply with your own...

Parachutes by Coldplay











This was their debut album, which came out in 2000. It marks the time I moved from the heart of East London to 'the country' as I thought of it - Grays. Before I explain, my brother was a big influence on me, musically. I'd spend weekend evenings in his room with him playing CDs on his HiFi reading his back-copies of NME or organising his CD collection A-Z (and my lord - he had what seemed to be MILLIONS of CDs). This album would always be in the background, creating a warm, cosy and chilled atmosphere. Fantastic time of my life, that was.


Standing on the Shoulder of Giants by Oasis











This album was one of the first to help me feel that lament teenagers feel. Totally opposite to the Coldplay album previously spoken about. Even though you listen to the lyrics of this album, and it highlights problems I would never be aware of at the time, but it gave me that fuel to feel angry about something; but more importantly, get passionate. "Gas Panic" was a highlight of this album purely for the fact of how haunting it sounded. But just as you feel that anger and passion for something you're not quite sure about, they throw in the infamous "Little James" composed by the maestro that is Liam Gallagher. The lyrics contain lines such as "You play with your toys/even though they make noise" but if you surpass that, the solo Noel plays is totally (in the real meaning of the word) awesome.

Rumours by Fleetwood Mac











Now, there's one of two things you're thinking. 1. "Yeah, ain't that the one with the F1 theme tune?" or 2. "Not for me, that's dad rock". 

And yes, when I was given this for recommended listening, I said both. But if you listen to it, run a bath, light a van load of candles and just lay there, it's heaven. Songs like "You Make Loving Fun" and "Go Your Own Way" gives you that dreamy, floaty feeling at never fails to raise the hairs at the back of my neck.


So What? by Joe Walsh


This album is just gutsy. Joe Walsh was the guitar sound of The Eagles, which were another band I grew up listening to. Yet this album is nothing like the sound of the Eagles; this is where you find the identity of Walsh. My highlights of this album includes "Turn to Stone", "Help Me Through The Night" and "County Fair". You will find this album will have the humour and musical progression of the 70's (for humour, see "All Night Laundromat Blues") that pulls you in, wanting to hear more. Particularly Turn to Stone and County Fair pulls those heart strings leading you into a sense of curiosity... What will happen next?

Let it Bleed by The Rolling Stones


Now, please excuse this clichè, but this album is all killer - no filler. Each and every song in this album is an amazing in its own right. I can't say enough about it. But don't take my word for it - go and listen to it on Spotify.

I hope you enjoyed my little review of these fantastic albums, I hope you endulge in them today as much as I have!


Until next Sunday...



Over and Out!




1 comment:

  1. Good work a properly mixed list free from the usual suspects. The Beatles, Beach Boys etc..

    The Oasis album was given an unfair critical kicking - for me it's a belter, and the only decent album outside of the first two...

    Based on your five, you should if you haven't - check out some of Darren Jones solo work. Very mid-70s west coast sounding

    ReplyDelete